Number of Burritos

66 Burritos

Saturday, February 4, 2012

No Crema




Ever since I was a wee-lad, I’ve had to be cautious when ordering my burritos.  I can’t stand sour cream and I always make sure that those taking my order understand that.  Sour cream makes me want to vomit.  It will cause me to reject even my most favorite meal.  In short, it is the secret sauce of Satan.
 
On Wednesday,  I went to Taqueria de Anda and ordered a chicken burrito.  I was blown away by the employee’s response when I told him that I don’t want any sour cream.  “We don’t have that here,” he warmly replied.  I stood there in disbelief.  No sour cream in the entire restaurant!  After years of searching, I’d given up on the notion that such a place even existed.  I felt at home.

I wanted to reach over the counter and shake the guys hand, maybe even write a letter of gratitude to the owner.  Then I began to think bigger.  Maybe there is an entire genre of Mexican food that I am unaware of that forbids the use of sour cream. Maybe this “No Crema” style originates from a small village in Mexico where people are punished by banishment for even mentioning the words sour or cream.

If such a place truly exists, then I may have found a new paradise.  Forget Hawaii! Forget Costa Rica! Forget those all-inclusive Carribbean resorts!  Take me to the place that makes burritos the way that God intended . . . WITHOUT sour cream!


2/4- Homemade Jambalaya Burritos (2)
2/3- Bean and Cheese, Taco Bell (2)
2/1- Chicken Burrito from Taqueria De Anda
1/30- DT Breakfast Burrito (2), DT 1/2 lb Green

1 comment:

  1. Señor, your “No Crema” blog post is unrelatable to me. I also visited Taqueria de Anda and, upon making a request for sour cream, was informed that they don’t serve sour cream. At ALL. However, I would not characterize this response as “warm.” Such a statement is downright hostile! NO sour cream? Appalling! I too wondered if there is an entire genre of Mexican food that I am unaware of that forbids the use of sour cream and perhaps this “No Crema” style originates from a small village in Mexico where people are punished by banishment for even mentioning the words sour or cream. However, I was horrified at the thought, not hopeful! What sort of soulless being hopes for such darkness and despair??? Sour cream is non-discriminatory, versatile, and important. It belongs on ALL foods, including raspberry Jello with a pretzel crust! Do you know why they call it 7-Layer Dip? Because without sour cream it would be 6 worthless layers! Secret sauce of Satan, pffft. Sour cream is a gifted condiment that deserves your reverence. Cross over now, or forever be banished to The Dark Side!!

    ReplyDelete